Friday, April 18, 2008

Stranger and I

A stranger and I are in the same room in the school.

Me: Hey, Hi. How are you?

Stranger: I’m okay, How about you?

Me: Well, I am doing alright, but just curious if you’ve ever read the book called Far North by Will Hobbs.

Stranger: No, I haven’t. What is it so interesting about this book.

Me: Well, the thing interesting about this book, that this boy and his friend, there about the same age and were paired up by birthdays. The main character Gabe Rogers has decided to visit his father in one of the famous Canada’s North West Territories to visit his father and he wants to visit his father because his father had been talking about how beautiful the North West Territories were. One main thing is that he had studied about how the northwest territories would be like if he was up there. Turns out to be that things were kind of getting to know more in real life.

Stranger: Who is the other main character that faced Gabe Rogers?

Me: The other main character is a 15-year-old Athabaskan named Raymond Providence. Athabaskans are Native Americans that are part of Canada and Alaska. Most of the Native kids dropped out from the boarding school, and the kids called the “Dropping like Flies”. The students dropped out because they miss being at home. Which is a sad part, and just last semester I was watching news and in the news was about the native kids barely had good grades in Anchorage, and the Hispanic ethnicity have the pressure to do better and have the highest flying phases than the native kids that really belongs to Alaska.

Stranger: Alaska seems to be having a major problem with schools. One thing is that there are many native students that are dropping out because there parents, relatives, or friends trying to keep the native tradition alive and I believe that they are good at speaking Yupik instead of our second language. Because I heard elders say that the kids who are trying to change themselves to become English speakers. Here is one elder that said, “These children are speaking in English and they are not like the previous children. These children are noisy, like to yell, and fight. The people do not like children who are only speaking in English.” There Yupik values must be taught in a powerful way and these elders are not only losing their culture, but their dreams, too.

Me: Yeah, I agree, they also have that problem in this village, too. Maybe, like everywhere or the whole world is changing because of the laws. Oh, and speaking of laws that the native kid said it was his first time in a boarding school. He said that there are a lot of rules and regulations in that boarding school because he couldn’t even got to play his guitar and some other things. I forgot what the others were, I might have to look it up again just in case I give out wrong information about it or you can read it to find out.
Stranger: Why is Gabe traveling to see the world that his father is in? Is he going to go to work with his father or decide to see what the job is like?

Me: The reason why Gabe is traveling is to see the world to the place his father works at the drilling rigs. And no he is not going to work with his father, but he just wanted know what the job was like. Anyways, on their way, the bush pilot sets the floatplane down to check up on the Thunder falls. Thunder falls looks like Niagara Falls but two times as much bigger. But, soon the floatplane’s engine had a complete shutdown. Winter came by so fast they realized they were stranded at a place called Deadman Valley. Deadman Valley has wild animals like a grizzly with three cubs, artic foxes, snowshoe hares, and musk oxen.

Stranger: Wow! That must be an amazing story to read about someone’s life and ending up somewhere the one character hasn’t gone before and the other kid that belonged to Canada knew exactly what to do at his or her situation. I must sit down and read my butt off when I have the time to relax that would be after I retire. What did they do to survive?

Me: They survived like some professional adult would, but can you believe there only 15 years old. I am impressed with how much the native boy knew much about the culture and Gabe here he studied through papers. Gabe remembered much of it and knew what to do, but Raymond had hunted a moose and cut it up, cooked it, and ate it.

Stranger: Well, I am impressed, too. If these kids knew who how to survive in the really cold area just by hearing stories, then those who were paying attention should know all of the things that we need to do to survive.

Me: That’s what I had in mind, but directly didn’t say it cause I needed to see how you respond to that. I guess the world see’s earth as an “I am going to challenge you till my death and you wouldn’t help it if I am sick” situation. And there are a whole bunch of human animals struggling with there life, because each and one of are being judged to get a graduation degree and to be better than others, especially its called show-off because to me it’s like everyone is trying to show-off to be better or not.

Stranger: I would like to read that book, it sounds too great and it attracted my brain.

Me: I enjoyed it so much and I recommend you will sit down comfortably and read it. It was so much fun. What time is it?

Stranger: Oh, it is about 3:15. Why, what do you have to do?

Me: Oh My God! Guess what? I just spent the whole 20 minutes talking to you about this book I was interested in, when I read it. I was on my 15 minutes break and I am 5 minutes late.

Stranger: Yeah, thanks for telling me part of the book. At least I enjoyed it and will read it if I have the time. Bye, I will see you some other time. Alright, Take Care. I will let you know what I think of it.

Me: Well, I guess I better get back to class, yeah you too. Take care. We will see each other again sometime.

I went back to my class and she went out the door to her home village.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Hey--this turned out good. You should turn it in! Thanks for staying after tonight and getting all that work done. Keep it up.